Player shows a black screen or is stuck loading the video

Hello

We have just recently installed a new installation of Kaltura Community and we came across this problem where players wont load the video or display anything.

Created players in the KMC all produce the same result, where the video continuously load. And if the video and its player are embedded in another page, it results in a black box.

Would really appreciate all the help.Thank you!

Marvis

Hi @msl2000, please share a test page that shows the issue.

Thanks,

Oren M.

HI Oren

Attached are the images that I see when viewing in the video in a player I made through KMC as well as actually embedding it into a page.

KMC:

Embedded:

Best regards
Marvis

Hello @msl2000,

We need more info in order to assist you further.
If you can provide a sample URL for a page where the player is embedded, that would be best. Otherwise, in the event the platform is not accessible from the outside, before hitting “Play”, please open your browser’s dev tools and look under the “Network” tab for failing requests and under the “Console” tab for errors.
In parallel from a root shell on the server, run:
# . /etc/profile.d/kaltura*base.sh
# kaltlog

And look at the errors outputted to STDOUT.
Paste your findings here.
Please also include the following info:

• Kaltura CE version
  • Player version [you’ll see that in the “Console” tab]
  • Linux disto used

Thanks,

Hi Jess

Thanks for the swift reply. Here is the test page with a video embedded: http://dribl.com/test

In addition, the following information:
Kaltura CE version: (12.16.0)
Player version: Kaltura HTML5 Version: 2.56
Linux disto: 4.4.0-75-generic

As per the root shell, below is the output as requested:

thrown in /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaClientBase.php on line 362
PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘KalturaClientException’ with message ‘Peer’s Certificate has expired.’ in /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaClientBase.php:362
Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaClient.php(4284): KalturaClientBase->doQueue()

’ in /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaClientBase.php:401
Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaClient.php(4284): KalturaClientBase->doQueue()

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘KalturaClientException’ with message ‘Peer’s Certificate has expired.’ in /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaClientBase.php:362
Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaClient.php(1070): KalturaClientBase->doQueue()

Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaClient.php(1070): KalturaClientBase->doQueue()

==> /opt/kaltura/log/batch/dropfolderwatcher-0-2017-06-11.err.log <==
PHP Notice: Undefined variable: folder in /opt/kaltura/app/plugins/drop_folder/batch/DropFolderWatcher/KAsyncDropFolderWatcher.class.php on line 79
PHP Notice: Undefined variable: folder in /opt/kaltura/app/plugins/drop_folder/batch/DropFolderWatcher/KAsyncDropFolderWatcher.class.php on line 79

==> /opt/kaltura/log/batch/dropfolderwatcher-0-2017-06-12.err.log <==

==> /opt/kaltura/log/batch/dropfolderwatcherlocalbase-0-2017-06-11.err.log <==

==> /opt/kaltura/log/batch/dropfolderwatcherlocalbase-0-2017-06-12.err.log <==

Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaClient.php(1294): KalturaClientBase->doQueue()

Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaClient.php(1294): KalturaClientBase->doQueue()

Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/batch/client/KalturaPlugins/KalturaScheduledTaskClientPlugin.php(646): KalturaClientBase->doQueue()

Thanks,
Marvis

Hi Jess

Just an update, we’ve updated the CE version to 12.17.0 and the player to v2.57. We’ve also applied SSL certificates.

We navigate to https://dribl.com/test and we can see the player but any interaction with the player does not work. We also see a Failed to load resource: net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR when we inspect the page

When we run log we get the following output:

--

]
2017-06-13 14:12:29 [0.000378] [172.16.103.211] [464654049] [4] [API] [KalturaDispatcher->dispatch] CRIT: exception ‘Exception’ with message ‘Action does not exist!’ in /opt/kaltura/app/infra/log/KalturaLog.php:74
Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/api_v3/lib/KalturaDispatcher.php(56): KalturaLog::crit(‘Action does not…’)

#3 {main}
2017-06-13 14:12:29 [0.000305] [172.16.103.211] [464654049] [5] [API] [KalturaFrontController->getExceptionObject] ERR: exception ‘KalturaAPIException’ with message ‘Action “trackevent” does not exists for service “analytics”’ in /opt/kaltura/app/api_v3/lib/KalturaDispatcher.php:57
Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/api_v3/lib/KalturaFrontController.php(113): KalturaDispatcher->dispatch(‘analytics’, ‘trackEvent’, Array)

]
2017-06-13 14:12:29 [0.000245] [172.16.103.211] [1567695454] [4] [API] [KalturaDispatcher->dispatch] CRIT: exception ‘Exception’ with message ‘Action does not exist!’ in /opt/kaltura/app/infra/log/KalturaLog.php:74
Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/api_v3/lib/KalturaDispatcher.php(56): KalturaLog::crit(‘Action does not…’)

#3 {main}
2017-06-13 14:12:29 [0.000192] [172.16.103.211] [1567695454] [5] [API] [KalturaFrontController->getExceptionObject] ERR: exception ‘KalturaAPIException’ with message ‘Action “trackevent” does not exists for service “analytics”’ in /opt/kaltura/app/api_v3/lib/KalturaDispatcher.php:57
Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/api_v3/lib/KalturaFrontController.php(113): KalturaDispatcher->dispatch(‘analytics’, ‘trackEvent’, Array)

]
2017-06-13 14:12:29 [0.000291] [172.16.103.211] [408363744] [4] [API] [KalturaDispatcher->dispatch] CRIT: exception ‘Exception’ with message ‘Action does not exist!’ in /opt/kaltura/app/infra/log/KalturaLog.php:74
Stack trace:

#3 {main}
2017-06-13 14:12:29 [0.000319] [172.16.103.211] [408363744] [5] [API] [KalturaFrontController->getExceptionObject] ERR: exception ‘KalturaAPIException’ with message ‘Action “trackevent” does not exists for service “analytics”’ in /opt/kaltura/app/api_v3/lib/KalturaDispatcher.php:57
Stack trace:

We would be eternally grateful for the help.

Best regards
Marvis

Hi Marvis,

Looking at your sample URL, something is off here…
The URL used to fetch the manifest [and segments] from Nginx [which utilises the VOD module] is currently:

https://media01.genisys.com.au:88/hls/p/102/sp/10200/serveFlavor/entryId/0_24e7kvgj/v/12/flavorId/0_lm13yxaz/name/a.mp4/index.m3u8

However:

curl -I -v https://media01.genisys.com.au:88/hls/p/102/sp/10200/serveFlavor/entryId/0_24e7kvgj/v/12/flavorId/0_lm13yxaz/name/a.mp4/index.m3u8
*   Trying 101.2.170.182...
* Connected to media01.genisys.com.au (101.2.170.182) port 88 (#0)
* found 175 certificates in /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
* found 714 certificates in /etc/ssl/certs
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* gnutls_handshake() failed: An unexpected TLS packet was received.
* Closing connection 0
curl: (35) gnutls_handshake() failed: An unexpected TLS packet was received.

So, seems as though Nginx is not configured with SSL [Apache, which is used by the Kaltura Server for the API, KMC, Admin Console, etc is but not Nginx].
If you try:

curl  -v http://media01.genisys.com.au:88/hls/p/102/sp/10200/serveFlavor/entryId/0_24e7kvgj/v/12/flavorId/0_lm13yxaz/name/a.mp4/index.m3u8

You will see the manifest is correctly returned, but not with HTTPs.
Since Apache is configured over SSL, Nginx should be as well, otherwise, the browsers will block the request because it’s considered to be an attempt at “mixed content”.

You didn’t specify whether you’re using the deb or RPM packages [when I asked for the Linux distro I meant the distro, not the kernel version which is far less relevant to us] but judging by your kernel version, I assume this is either Debian or Ubuntu?

To reconfigure Nginx over SSL, for deb:
# dpkg-reconfigure kaltura-nginx
For RPM:
# /opt/kaltura/bin/kaltura-nginx-config.sh

When prompted about SSL, choose Y and supply your certificate and key. By default, for SSL, port 8443 is suggested [since 443 is used by Apache, unless you do SSL offloading from an LB, in which case, you can use port 80 for Apache]. You can change the port to anything that’s free on the machine, however.
After doing so, make sure the request for index.m3u8 above works [adjust to port] and then, update the kaltura.delivery_profile table accordingly. The default profiles are:

mysql> select id,name,url from kaltura.delivery_profile where id in (1001,1002,1003);
+------+---------------------------+-----------------------+
| id   | name                      | url                   |
| 1001 | Kaltura HLS segmentation  | http://jessex:88/hls  |
| 1002 | Kaltura HDS segmentation  | http://jessex:88/hds  |
| 1003 | Kaltura DASH segmentation | http://jessex:88/dash |

So, you can see in my case, the Nginx is on a host called jessex, the protocol is HTTP [no SSL, won’t work for you because of the mixed content issue as I explained] and the port is 88.

There is a longer explanation about the needed configuration and the interaction between Apache and Nginx here:

I suggest you read that and confirm you got everything right should you still have issues.

Thanks,

Hi Jess

Thank you very much! That was it, after configuring SSL to nginx, it works perfectly now.

Thanks for all your help!

Best regards

Hi @msl2000,

Most welcome && glad we’re good now:)

Happy videoing,

Sorry guys, but this seems to be a related thread about video playback issues. I have a question and would you mind my asking here and I really need an answer now. Yesterday, I downloaded a video repair tool as you can see “http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/repair-mp4-file.html” (I hope any experts can help me check it when it’s at your convenience) to repair one of my damaged MP4 file. The file did not contain audio output so I tried fixing it by converting it to another format. The conversion was successful and there was audio output again. But I could not figure why after conversion, the video size got much bigger, did you guys know how to deal with such a kind of problem? I do not want to resort to any third-party video compressor any more.

@jess
I am getting this same problem. I followed the instructions under
https://forum.kaltura.org/t/install-kaltura-without-nginx/5849/24

and all looks identical.

curl -I -v 

give me positive results with SSL, but a
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
< Server: nginx/1.12.0
Server: nginx/1.12.0

It happens when I use the HTML and Dark Skin players… Blue and Light skin seem to work fine, as there is no call to the index.m3u8 (?)

kaltlog only shows the errors like the one below, but I understand, they are not related to my case

2017-09-03 23:59:51 [0.000507] [IP] [1617782842] [4] [API] [KalturaDispatcher->dispatch]CRIT: exception 'Exception' with message 'Action does not exist!' in /opt/kaltura/app/infra/log/KalturaLog.php:74
Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/api_v3/lib/KalturaDispatcher.php(57): KalturaLog::crit('Action does not...')
--
#3 {main}
2017-09-03 23:59:51 [0.000329] [IP] [1617782842] [5] [API] [KalturaFrontController->getExceptionObject] ERR: exception 'KalturaAPIException' with message 'Action "trackevent" does not exists for service "analytics"' in /opt/kaltura/app/api_v3/lib/KalturaDispatcher.php:58
Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/api_v3/lib/KalturaFrontController.php(113): KalturaDispatcher->dispatch('analytics', 'trackEvent', Array)

Kaltura CE 13
kWidget: Kaltura HTML5 Version: 2.60
CentOs 7

Hi @riclaso,

Easiest way to help you debug this would be for you to provide a sample page where the player is embedded.
However, start by checking the delivery_profile.URL column for these profile IDs:

mysql> select id,name,url from kaltura.delivery_profile where id in (1001,1002,1003);

making sure Nginx is really listening on the port specified and is accessible from wherever you’re attempting playback,
Also, check the Nginx error log under /opt/kaltura/log/nginx.

Remember that if you embed the player on a page served over SSL, Nginx also has to be configured over SSL [SSL offloading is an option of course], otherwise, the browsers will refuse to load the stream due to what is referred to as “mixed content”.

thanks @jess
Here it is a sample https://ms2.wevu.video:443/tiny/0apzq

±-----±--------------------------±---------------------------------+
| id | name | url |
| 1001 | Kaltura HLS segmentation | https://ms2.wevu.video:8443/hls |
| 1002 | Kaltura HDS segmentation | https://ms2.wevu.video:8443/hds |
| 1003 | Kaltura DASH segmentation | https://ms2.wevu.video:8443/dash |

tail /opt/kaltura/log/kaltura_nginx_errors.log

had only one line -> failed (99: Cannot assign requested address). Then added the line “net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind = 1” onto /etc/sysctl.conf Now getting

==> /opt/kaltura/log/kaltura_nginx_errors.log <==
2017/09/04 17:04:50 [error] 71057#71057: *398 SSL_do_handshake() failed (SSL: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol) while SSL handshaking to upstream, client: xxx.xx.xxx.xxx, server: ms2.wevu.video, request: "GET /hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4/index.m3u8 HTTP/1.1", subrequest: "/kalapi_proxy/hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4", upstream: "https://127.0.0.1:80/hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4?pathOnly=1", host: "ms2.wevu.video:8443", referrer: "https://ms2.wevu.video/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/101/uiconf_id/23448169/entry_id/0_9eqq3q4m/embed/auto?&flashvars[streamerType]=auto"
2017/09/04 17:04:50 [error] 71057#71057: *398 SSL_do_handshake() failed (SSL: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol) while SSL handshaking to upstream, client: xxx.xx.xxx.xxx, server: ms2.wevu.video, request: "GET /hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4/index.m3u8 HTTP/1.1", subrequest: "/kalapi_proxy/hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4", upstream: "https://52.237.25.200:80/hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4?pathOnly=1", host: "ms2.wevu.video:8443", referrer: "https://ms2.wevu.video/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/101/uiconf_id/23448169/entry_id/0_9eqq3q4m/embed/auto?&flashvars[streamerType]=auto"
2017/09/04 17:04:50 [error] 71057#71057: *398 SSL_do_handshake() failed (SSL: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol) while SSL handshaking to upstream, client: xxx.xx.xxx.xxx, server: ms2.wevu.video, request: "GET /hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4/index.m3u8 HTTP/1.1", subrequest: "/kalapi_proxy/hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4", upstream: "https://[::1]:80/hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4?pathOnly=1", host: "ms2.wevu.video:8443", referrer: "https://ms2.wevu.video/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/101/uiconf_id/23448169/entry_id/0_9eqq3q4m/embed/auto?&flashvars[streamerType]=auto"
2017/09/04 17:04:50 [error] 71057#71057: *398 open() "/etc/nginx/html/50x.html" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: xxx.xx.xxx.xxx, server: ms2.wevu.video, request: "GET /hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4/index.m3u8 HTTP/1.1", host: "ms2.wevu.video:8443", referrer: "https://ms2.wevu.video/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/101/uiconf_id/23448169/entry_id/0_9eqq3q4m/embed/auto?&flashvars[streamerType]=auto"

Hi @riclaso,

The issue starts here:

It should be https://ms2.wevu.video/hls/p/101/sp/10100/serveFlavor/entryId/0_9eqq3q4m/v/12/flavorId/0_g8yb1at8/name/a.mp4 instead.

Start by checking /etc/nginx/nginx.conf.
I believe the server directive under upstream kalapi is incorrect. Also check /etc/nginx/conf.d/kaltura.conf and /etc/nginx/conf.d/ssl.conf

upstream kalapi {
            server ms2.wevu.video;
 }

But if I change to server ms2.wevu.video:443 it all works

server {
listen    8443   ssl;
server_name ms2.wevu.video;
// certificate stuff follows

# grep 52.237.25.200:80 /opt/kaltura/app/configurations/* -r
?

Yes, since you do not specify the protocol in the server_name directive [it won’t work], you need to explicitly specify the port. Are we good now?

Get no results, thanks a lot

Yes, we are good! Once again thanks a lot for your help!

Most welcome:)
Happy videoing,