Analytics install failed (dwh blues)

Hello,

I just performed a clean 16.5 install but kaltura-dwh failed. I got this error:

ERROR 1499 (HY000) at line 1: Too many partitions (including subpartitions) were defined

I´m using a standard Centos 7.8, mariadb-5.5, etc. I went through the process twice but something is wrong with the database.

Any help (Jess) will be greatly appreciated !

Thank you,

David

Hi @david.eusse,

I’d start by invoking manually:

mysql> call kalturadw.add_partitions();

That’s probably the stored proc that fails. If that’s the case, need to debug it and see why. It is defined here:

So /opt/kaltura/dwh/ddl/dw/maintenance/add_partition_procedure.sql on the server.

Hello @jess,

I just ran mysql> call kalturadw.add_partitions();
This is the result:

MariaDB [(none)]> call kalturadw.add_partitions();
ERROR 1499 (HY000): Too many partitions (including subpartitions) were defined

What is interesting here is that this is a brand new install on Centos strictly following the instructions (that I have performed dozens of times, BTW).

I will try to find the source of the problem and report it if possible.

Regards,

David

Hi @david.eusse,

Yes, I know you are well expreinced in deploying Kaltura CE, I never doubted you:)
As I said, need to debug to find the source of the problem, then, we can discuss possible fixes.

Cheers,

Hello @Jess,
Analytics are my bad karma… But I got used to it somehow…

Regards

David

Hello,

Going back to this issue, I went through kaltura-dwh-config.sh script and found this:

Replace various old dates to avoid issues with partitions

olddates=(20130831 201308 20130901 20130902 20131231 201312 20140101 201

406 20140701 201510 20151101)

When performing the grep /find part by hand, I noticed that no files are found, therefore, no expressions are replaced in order to solve the partitions error.

So, @jess , are these dates specific or can anything be done in order to fix this script and the partitions error again ?

Thank again for your help,

David

Hi @david.eusse ,

The commit that introduced this change is here: https://github.com/kaltura/platform-install-packages/commit/9a3187b27cc940b1095b257f761a80e2f7694194#diff-c1635cc60a15abddcf01efd4bd686688b777ae14d8ab0119c9f82d3601715332

As you can see, the code in question is:

# Replace various old dates to avoid issues with partitions
	olddates="p_20130831 p_201308 20130901 20130902 p_20131231 p_201312 20140101 p_201406 20140701 p_201510 20151101"
	for olddate in $olddates; do
	    FILES=`grep -rl $olddate`
	    if [ -n "$FILES" ]; then
	    	sed -i $FILES "s/$olddate/p_$LDAYLASTMONTH/g"
	    fi
	done

But, the grep operation should actually be done on the /opt/kaltura/dwh dir, see https://github.com/kaltura/dwh/search?q=20140101

Could you apply that change locally and see if that solves the issue?
We can then push the change so it makes it to the next release.

Cheers,

Thank you @jess !

I’l work on it and let you know.

Regards,

David

Hello,

So far, I fixed the script but it continued to bail out on the number of partitions. So I did this:

I found this script:
/opt/kaltura/dwh/ddl/dw/maintenance/add_partition_procedure.sql

And changed this:

SELECT NOW()
INTO _current_date;
Into this:
SELECT NOW() - interval 3 year
INTO _current_date;

It finally let the script run and populated the dwh database!

Just to make sure, I ran a couple of kalturadw.add_partitions() and I’l wait until tomorrow to see if it works.

I know it’s a horrible fix but if it works, I’l go through the populate scripts and fix the date issue.

David

Hi @david.eusse,

When you’ve verified the fix, you’re more than welcome to submit a pull. I’ll review it and merge if all is well.

Cheers,

Hello @jess ,

I didn’t work because it didn’t have partitions for the current date…:frowning:

After going again through the scripts and docs, I noticed that you say on kaltura-base-config.sh that mysql 5.6 is supported. Is it correct ?

Mysql 5.6 supports up to 8192 partitions per table, un like Maria 5.5 (1024 partitions).

Probably I am hitting my head against a wall with Maria 5.5?

I will try a different path and test mysql 5.6 and Maria 10.6 and post the results. I know that Maria 10 did work for us (at least for the kaltura db).

Regards,

David

Hello,

After testing different database setups, I post my results to anyone interested in making DWH work again.

The main problem right now is that mariadb 5.5 does not support more than 1024 innodb partitions /table. Even if one manages to install kaltura-dwh, it might fail soon complaining for this error.

I tried installing different versions of MariaDB and Mysql and here are the results:

• Mysql 5.6: DWH installation failed. The main reason is key length restriction on this version. I gave up on this version

-MariaDB 10.0. DWH installation went well and it works !

I had had no partitions issues and installation went smoothly.

Had an issue with a table that was not created (dwh_fact_plays.sql, I don’t know why) but so far so good. I just ran the script again for that table.

Just needed to change the installation scripts (kaltura-db-config.sh, kaltura-base-config.sh) and put 10 instead of 5 here:

if [ “$MYMAJVER” -ne 10 ];then
echo -e "${BRIGHT_RED}Your version of MySQL is incompatible.

Everything works and I haven’t found any issues with kaltura/api or analytics.

-MariaDB 10.1:
Works but need to add the ARCHIVE engine. Given that both 10.0 and 10.1 ar obsolete, I stuck with 10.0 to make things easier

-MariaDB 10.2 and up:
The main issues is SQL2003 compliance and sql_mode. I managed to advance in the installation but I gave up because is not worth the effort.

So, if anyone wants to use kaltura-dwh right now, Mariadb 10.0 is an option. Just add the correct repository and go ahead.

Regards,

David

Hi @david.eusse ,

Thanks for sharing your research, much appreciated.
If you’d like to contribute these notes to the deployment guide, I’ll be happy to receive a pull from you.
With regards to the version check, could you share the exact string you get for select version();? I’ll revise the code accordingly, to allow working with this ver as well.

Hello @Jess,

You’re welcome.

This is my version on Centos 7.9:

MariaDB [(none)]> select version();
±----------------+
| version() |
±----------------+
| 10.0.38-MariaDB |
±----------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

This is how I setup the MariaDB repository:

[root@dev01 ~]# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/MariaDB.repo

MariaDB 10.1 CentOS repository list

MariaDB - Setting up MariaDB Repositories - MariaDB

[mariadb]
name = MariaDB
baseurl = Index of /10.0/centos7-amd64/
gpgkey=https://yum.mariadb.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-MariaDB
gpgcheck=1

It is possible to use the same procedure up to Maria 10.1. With a little effort kaltura-dwh can be upgraded up to MariaDB 10.6, I think. Right now I stick to 10.0

The only mysterious issue is that this script apparently failed during setup and the table was missing:

/opt/kaltura/dwh/ddl//dw//facts/dwh_fact_plays.sql

I ran it again and everything works OK.

After the installation was successful, I ran kalturadw.add_partitions(); once

We started working on a new elastic analytics module but we have stalled because of other issues :slight_smile:

I’l write down everything I did and share it, of course.

Regards,

David