Error in installing kaltura-red5

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to solve this error that I’ve have when installing kaltura-red5.
Below is the error…

Allowing use of questionable username.
Adding system user _red5' (UID 109) ... Adding new user_red5’ (UID 109) with group nogroup' ... Not creating home directory/usr/share/red5’.

• Starting Flash streaming server red5-server [fail]
    invoke-rc.d: initscript red5-server, action “start” failed.
    dpkg: error processing package red5-server (–configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kaltura-red5:
    kaltura-red5 depends on red5-server; however:
    Package red5-server is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package kaltura-red5 (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up libspring-instrument-java (3.0.6.RELEASE-13) …
Setting up libspring-transaction-java (3.0.6.RELEASE-13) …
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
Setting up libspring-jdbc-java (3.0.6.RELEASE-13) …
Setting up libspring-oxm-java (3.0.6.RELEASE-13) …
Setting up libgeronimo-jpa-2.0-spec-java (1.1-2) …
Setting up libosgi-compendium-java (4.3.0-1) …
Setting up libgeronimo-osgi-support-java (1.0-2) …
Setting up libgeronimo-validation-1.0-spec-java (1.1-2) …
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) …
Processing triggers for sgml-base (1.26+nmu4ubuntu1) …
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) …
Errors were encountered while processing:
red5-server
kaltura-red5
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Setting up red5-server (1.0~svn4374-3) …

• Starting Flash streaming server red5-server [fail]
    invoke-rc.d: initscript red5-server, action “start” failed.
    dpkg: error processing package red5-server (–configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kaltura-red5:
    kaltura-red5 depends on red5-server; however:
    Package red5-server is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package kaltura-red5 (–configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
red5-server
kaltura-red5

root@kaltura:/#

Thanks

Hello,

Please see my answer here:

Hi Jess,

Thanks for the reply and Kaltura works now :slight_smile:

Does all-in-one Kaltura box need to be able to send email out? Because I don’t have email service and i’m using gmail for all my email needs. When I add a new publisher it say it will send an email to the address but i didn’t really setup the email function as i don’t have any.

Please let me advise what can be done.

Thanks

Hello,

You can simply install postfix on the server. It will do. Of course, the emails might go to your spam folder so make sure you check that one.

Hi Jess,

When i try to run KMC on IE 11 or firefox it keep asking me to install flash player but the latest flash player have already on both the browser. What could be the problem?

Thanks

Hello,

Most probably, the service URL you provided is not resolvable from your client, i.e, the machine the browser runs on.
Open the browser’s devtools and look under the ‘Network’ and ‘Console’ tabs to find the failing HTTP requests.

This topic is old but some people might find this information helpful.

I figured out why Red5 was not installing properly on my server when trying to test a RTSP plugin to do what NGINX and ffmpeg are having issue with doing. The version of Java installed by Kaltura CE is not the latest version required to run Red5 and after manually updating the version on my host and setting default to the latest version. I also had to set the javac EVN variable too for it to properly install and load.

@jess

What I am not sure about is where exactly where was the Kaltura attempting to install it’s version of Red5 on the host. My review of the configuration file suggests:

/usr/lib/red5

If so then I need to change the configuration file to create the symbolic link with my path. If the Kaltura CE install package version of Java SDK and devel package was updated to v1.8.0 it can install and run the latest stable version of Red5 to enable the Flash Webcam feature without Wowza.

Thing is with Kaltura CE binding with NGINX RTMP now with we need options to change ports in the configuration or the administration has to configure separate IP or hostnames for each process to avoid conflict with duplicate ports. If Kaltura CE is set to one IP with NGINX and Red5 or Wowza is set to a separate IP on same server. It would allow each process to run without port conflicts.

I hope this helps others when trying to configure their respective systems and enables ideas to improve the configuration process for Kaltura CE.

Hi @hiphopservers,

Kaltura no longer works with Red5. Our Live Streaming solution requires Wowza for full integration with the Kaltura Server but, we also ship kaltura-nginx which includes the RTMP module so that you can achieve basic live streaming functionality without the use of proprietary software like Wowza.
This is explained here:

Red5 can still be used for webcam recording via KMC but this is a Flash widget, soon to be deprecated and I recommend that you refrain from using it.

As for the kaltura-red5 package [again, deprecated as far as we’re concerned and also purged from the manuals], it installs onto /usr/lib/red5 and does not bring its own JRE package. It relies on the jre package from the official repos, like so:
Requires: jre >= 1.7.0
While it is deprecated and should not be used, the full spec for it [and every other CE package] can be found here:

Thanks,