When do Deleted entries actually get Deleted?

I’m working with the Java API and we’ve deleted plenty of media entries. The entries no longer show in the KMC Kaltura Management Console, which is good. The deleted entries DO get displayed when we perform a media.list() call.

I’m just wondering; 1) Do the deleted media entries count towards our storage quota, and 2) When do they actually get deleted?

Thanks,
F

Hi @garberfc,

When calling media.delete(), the following actions are taken:

• The entry status is changed to 3 [DELETED] in the MySQL DB
  • The Sphinx instances are synced accordingly

Sphinx is a search engine that runs against a MySQL DB. We use that mainly to speed up search operations involving free text, so that, for example, if you look for entries that have “SOMETHING” in their ‘description’ field/column, the initial search will be done against the Sphinx index and only then will a more focused query be run against the MySQL DB.
By default, unless you instantiate a KalturaMediaEntryFilter object and set statusEqual = KalturaEntryStatus.DELETED like so:

KalturaMediaEntryFilter filter = new KalturaMediaEntryFilter();
filter.statusEqual = KalturaEntryStatus.DELETED;

deleted entries will not be returned when calling media.list(). Only entries with KalturaEntryStatus.READY will be returned.

You didn’t mention whether you are using our SaaS or a self hosted ENV but if you have several Sphinx nodes [as you should, for redundancy reasons and as our SaaS does] it is possible you made the media.list() request BEFORE all Sphinx nodes had a chance to sync post the delete() request. This shouldn’t take more than a few seconds.

If you are still having the issue, please state whether you’re working with our SaaS or a self hosted ENV and I’ll direct you further.

Hi @jess,

Thanks for the reply. I’m making the call via the Java api if that answers your question. Some of the deleted media that continues to show in the media.lis() have been deleted several days prior. And, I have the KalturaMediaEntryFilter set so that deleted entries will be returned.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
F

Hi @garberfc,

Now I am confused… if you set:

KalturaMediaEntryFilter filter = new KalturaMediaEntryFilter();
filter.statusEqual = KalturaEntryStatus.DELETED;

Then why is it surprising that you get the deleted entries returned when calling media.list()?

Hi @jess,

I guess I was just surprised that Kaltura was keeping information on Deleted entries.

A better question is: When an entry is deleted, is the actual media artifact deleted? And more importantly, is the space it occupied no longer counted as part of our storage quota?

Thanks,
F