The necessary for transcoding?

Hello everyone,

A dumb question, wondering whether transcoding is needed for all formats of video uploaded? I have this question because for some video, I download from other video hosting web site, and it should already be fit for online video hosting format.

A general answer for why we need transcoding is highly appreciated, and what underlying for transcoding.

thanks in advance,
Lin

Hi Lin,
Transcoding enables you to play the clip on different platforms (each platform has different specs)
If you go to the kmc in the menu on the right side of each flavor there is an option to upload, so yes you can upload an external file that matches this transcoding flavor

1 Like

Thanks Ofer,

Dumb question, what do yo mean different platforms? I am logging in as admin now and see attached screen snapshots.

regards,
Lin

You are looking in the wrong place.
Go into an entry and click on the falvors tab.
In the right side of each row there is a drop down menu

1 Like

Hi Ofer,

For an entry, do you mean entries in Content Tab? I opened it, but seems no flavors tab? Attach my screen snapshot.

regards,
Lin

BTW, Ofer, I found the falvors Tab, does it mean by default, the upload video will be converted to all such kinds of flavors?

Attach my screen snapshots.

regards,
Lin

Hi Lin,
There is a default profile which contain certain flavors (it can be see under the settings tab), and yes all the transcoding flavors in this profile will be created when you upload a new clip.

1 Like

Thanks Ofer,

But how could end user know which flavor will be used in runtime when playing a video? Kaltura decides it? Or the client end user could setup? Not sure which flavor being used is at Kaltura player side or server side. :smile:

regards,
Lin

The basic procedure is that the server decides which flavor best matches the client (by client headers)

Making sense, thanks Ofer, have a great day. :smile:

regards,
Lin