Is there a way to disable an end user?

Hello,

I’m looking for a way to disable an end-user login, but the following does not seem to do it. I just get an exception thrown with message: “User is already not allowed to login”.
client.getUserService().disableLogin(userId);
User is able to log in to MediaSpace instance, so I’m assuming this is referring to the KMC login. Is there any way to disable an end user? I would like to avoid deleting the user in case the same user comes back and we have to provision the user again. I’ve done some testing and it seems that the content will not be re-linked even if a new user is created with the same “userId”. I assume it’s just linking by the internal ID. So instead, I’d like to be able to just disable an end user.

Thanks,
Kumi

I think what might be easiest for you is to connect KMS to your LDAP for auth.
KMS is also able to determine their authorization level based on the LDAP groups they are a member of.
That way, you can suspend users at the LDAP level, which will prevent them from logging in and re-enable them the same way. All without having to touch their Kaltura end configuration at all.

Hi Jess,

Thanks for this information. I’m guessing that this means that the user will still look like an active user in Kaltura. Is that correct? I’ll have to check with our Kaltura admin to see if this is okay as far as user quota, etc., goes…

Thanks!
Kumi

Hi Kumi,

Indeed, they will still be enabled as far as Kaltura is concerned, but seeing how they only login via KMS [unless I did not correctly understand the situation], from their perspective, they won’t be able to do anything.

Thanks for the confirmation, Jess! User quota with the license may or may not be an issue. The other thing I just thought about is that other active Kaltura users will still be able to add the “deactivated” user as a collaborator. Still exploring other ways but we just might have to delete the user and orphan the content in case user gets re-created.

Kumi

I was able to get some info from Katlura support and am able to add, enable, and disable an end user. Please see my post on Feb 10, 2016 here:

Kumi