Installation clarification

Hey all,

I’m preparing an RPM based cluster and have run into a problem.

I installed mysql-community-server (instead of mysql-server) and the config scripts (kaltura-mysql-settings.sh specifically) report that there is no mysql installed. I started mysqld anyway and ran the script, but the config script still gives this output:

package mysql-server is not installed
package mariadb-server is not installed
mysql: unrecognized service

This should be pretty straight forward so I must be missing something very simple. Can you give me a hand?

This is on Oracle Enterprise Linux BTW…

Hi @david.hahn1,

First, please note that Kaltura Server will only work with MySQL versions 5.1.0 up to 5.6.n.
5.7.n is not supported and won’t work correctly.
That said, the script assumes you installed one of the following MySQL RPMs:
mysql-server
mariadb-server
Percona-Server-server

This is checked in /opt/kaltura/bin/kaltura-mysql-settings.sh:

if rpm -q mysql-server 2>/dev/null;then
        service mysqld restart
elif rpm -q mariadb-server 2>/dev/null;then
        service mariadb restart
elif dpkg -l mysql-server >>/dev/null 2>&1 ;then
        service mysql restart
elif rpm -qa "Percona-Server-server*" 2>/dev/null;then
        service mysql restart
fi

Assuming your mysql-community-server RPM is of a compatible version, you can add it to the if block and then it will work.
Alternatively, you can manually adjust the settings this script automatically fixes and then you won’t have to run it.

Thanks for the information! I can use this to go forward.

I’m curious as to what is incompatible with MySQL 5.7 and Kaltura server? One my server admins recently upgraded an old Kaltura CE 5 installation with 5.7 and we did run into some issues with mysqld starting but they were resolved using mysql_upgrade.

The installation seems to be working fine since then. Are there changes since CE 5 that preclude the use of MySQL 5.7 or are there issues all the way down to CE 5 that I have simply not uncovered yet?

Hi @david.hahn1,

CE 5 is very very old and is no longer supported [current stable version is 12.18.0] so I can’t tell you whether or not you’ll have issues using MySQL 5.7 with it, though I expect you will.

Using MySQL 5.7 with CE 12, the first issue will be errors like:

2017-06-22 11:28:36 [0.001965] [127.0.0.1] [722303578] [10] [API] [BasePeer::doSelect] ERR: Exception: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error
or access violation: 1055 Expression #1 of SELECT list is not in GROUP BY clause and contains nonaggregated column
'kaltura.permission.id' which is not functionally dependent on columns in GROUP BY clause; this is incompatible with
sql_mode=only_full_group_by in /opt/kaltura/app/infra/log/KalturaLog.php:83
Stack trace:
#0 /opt/kaltura/app/vendor/propel/Propel.php(408): KalturaLog::err('SQLSTATE[42000]...')

This can be bypassed by setting:

sql_mode = NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

in my.cnf.

More info about the various SQL modes can be found here:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/sql-mode.html

After setting this, things may or may not work correctly, I haven’t yet finished debugging the issues but at present time MySQL 5.7 is not officially supported and I suggest you refrain from using it.

Great! Thanks Jess. I appreciate it. I’ve run into the issue you’re speaking of this morning. There are also some pentaho issues seemingly related to old JDBC drivers in my pentaho set up. I’m still testing this.

Regardless, I’ll stick to 5.6 for the new build until 5.7 is verified as compatible.

Hey @jess

Can you point me to documentation around what versions of MySQL are supported? I guess I’m assuming 5.6 is supported but that may not be true either. I’ve looked around the forums and the GitHub pages and didn’t find it. I may have just missed it.

Thanks for your help

edit:: The closest thing I found was this: https://github.com/kaltura/platform-install-packages/blob/master/doc/pre-requisites.md but it doesn’t note an actual version.

Hi @david.hahn1,

We officially support anything between MySQL 5.1.n and 5.5.n.
I was able to successfully run with MySQL 5.6 but had some issues with Analytics [DWH] which I didn’t yet find time to look into.