Error - File Upload Failed


Upon uploading new files an error dialog is shown, “File Upload Failed, [filename].mp4”

I cannot tell exactly when the problem started but I do know that since everything worked fine I have upgraded to 12.11.0-2 and also rebooted the machine.

My two major suspects is error in file system permissions or a silent failure in the upgrade scripts.

kaltlog gives the following clues
exiting on error 10 - missing thumbnail fileSync for entry
no ready filesync on current DC
No ready fileSync found on any DC
exiting on error 6 - requested flavor was not found

Monitoring the file system with lsof +D /data/ -r 1 shows no signs of movement during upload.
The db-table file_sync does not show any trace of the upload.

Can any one point me in a direction of where to look further and what to try?


Hi @arnebajse,

The first place to look is /opt/kaltura/log/kaltura_api_v3.log. And of course, the batch logs.
Make sure your batch daemon is running with:
# service kaltura-batch status
If it is not, start by looking for errors here: /opt/kaltura/log/kaltura_batch.log
If it is running, you can use the kaltlog alias to grep the different logs for erroneous patterns.
For a root shell on the Kaltura server, run:
# kaltlog
and then make the upload request and see what’s being outputted to the STDOUT/STDERR.

You can also run:
# /opt/kaltura/bin/
This script performs a lot of tests, including making sure all the needed daemons are running and making many API requests. It makes for a good diagnostic tool.


I can’t really tell if there’s any suspicious activities in kaltura_api_v3.log and kaltura_batch.log because they all seems to log almost anything. There’s no obvious traces of error to my eye.

Kaltlog shows
Exception’ with message ‘exiting on error 6 - requested flavor was not found
Exception’ with message 'exiting on error 11 - processing capture thumbnai
consistently every time I upload a new file.


Says Socket error – Connection refused
Cannot connect to the monit daemon. Did you start it with http support?

It seems monit is running but I do not see the monitor tab in the KAC as in previous versions

Check kaltura-batch daemon is started by Monit] [FAILED, RC: 1] - [121.298424588]

But batch is running, although possible not started by monit

[Check memcached daemon is started by Monit] [FAILED, RC: 1] - [121.254037901]
[check_testme_page] [FAILED, RC: 1] - [.092609339]
[check_admin_console_index_page] [FAILED, RC: 1] - [.059615973]

After [Delete flavor param] [PASSED, RC: 0] - [.214369517]
I see this error followed by the output of a 500-error from apache

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘KalturaClientException’ with message 'failed to unserialize server result

The sanity-check do however succeed in downloading and converting the bunny-movie.

And in the kaltura_apache_errors.log I see 2 lines of

AH02429: Response header name ‘KalturaEventNotificationTemplate-eventType error’ contains invalid characters, aborting request

and a lot od

script ‘/opt/kaltura/app/alpha/web/1.php’ not found or unable to stat


Where on the file system is the uploaded files supposed to get written, in what dir?


This was a creepy one, but I finally nailed it. It turned out to be an issue with flash.

After I successfully uploaded the files using Chrome (with its’ built in flash player) i started to look at my SSL offloading LB.

Recently I had done some work tightening up the SSL options. I that process I moved away from TLSv1 TLSv1.1 and only allowed connections using TLSv1.2. Apparently flash support neither TLSv1.2 nor TLSv1.1 but TLSv1.
My Flash version is 24,0,0,221 on OS X 10.11.6

Hope this can help someone else.


Thanks for sharing @arnebajse.
As a side note, we’re hoping to get rid of Flash soon. A HTML5 version of KMC, using Angular 2, is in the works.
We don’t have an ETA yet but hopefully it will be completed soon.


That’s some really god news!

Keep up the work.