Error during install script on Ubuntu Focal

Hi @bort,

Thank you for your help! Too bad, but none of three keys you proposed made the difference. Any further help is welcome! On which OS and version did you install Kaltura?

Kind regards,

Peter

Ah. too bad,

i can report a working installation on centos7 as a base… (all-in-one installation)

and i am fiddling with docker (with centos7 as base image)
but would not recommend it at the moment…(docker support is not fleshed out for production use of a recent kaltura CE *to my knowledge)

Kind regards,

Hi @bort,

Thank you once again! I am not very font of Docker in a production environment because of lack of direct tweaking possibilities. On the other hand that might be caused by me having too litle understanding of Docker. I use Docker only for quick evaluation of an application or as a last resort.

Regards,

Peter

Anyone else out there who can help me out? Please?!

Hey @PkMVfJ,

i just ran a quick installation test using this readme on an fresh ubuntu 20.04

the part of key installing refers to the 256bit key…

mabe you could try it once again :wink:

Hi @bort,

Can you please confirm if your test installation using this guide resulted in a working Kaltura CE server?

Regards,

Peter

Hey @PkMVfJ,

tryed it but am stuck at npm install forever

Job for kaltura-playkit-bundler.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status kaltura-playkit-bundler.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript kaltura-playkit-bundler, action "restart" failed.
● kaltura-playkit-bundler.service - LSB: Start/stop Kaltura Bundle-builder-api.
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/kaltura-playkit-bundler; generated)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-02-09 13:32:33 CET; 10ms ago
       Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
    Process: 29531 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/kaltura-playkit-bundler start (code=exited, status=2)

Feb 09 13:32:33 kaltura-all-in-one systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Start/stop Kaltura Bundle-builder-api....
Feb 09 13:32:33 kaltura-all-in-one kaltura-playkit-bundler[29531]: Need to install the forever npm module. Exiting.
Feb 09 13:32:33 kaltura-all-in-one systemd[1]: kaltura-playkit-bundler.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
Feb 09 13:32:33 kaltura-all-in-one systemd[1]: kaltura-playkit-bundler.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Feb 09 13:32:33 kaltura-all-in-one systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Start/stop Kaltura Bundle-builder-api..
dpkg: error processing package kaltura-playkit-bundler (--configure):
 installed kaltura-playkit-bundler package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kaltura-front:
 kaltura-front depends on kaltura-playkit-bundler; however:
  Package kaltura-playkit-bundler is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package kaltura-front (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 kaltura-playkit-bundler
 kaltura-front

Versions after install-script

root@kaltura-all-in-one:~# node --version
v10.19.0
root@kaltura-all-in-one:~# npm --version

tryed running npm install forever -g but no success

root@kaltura-all-in-one:~# forever --version
v3.0.4

then i tryed to reconfigure (same error):

dpkg --configure -a
Setting up kaltura-playkit-bundler (1.2.0-1+b2) ...
npm WARN deprecated chokidar@2.1.8: Chokidar 2 will break on node v14+. Upgrade to chokidar 3 with 15x less dependencies.
npm WARN deprecated fsevents@1.2.13: fsevents 1 will break on node v14+ and could be using insecure binaries. Upgrade to fsevents 2.
npm WARN deprecated urix@0.1.0: Please see https://github.com/lydell/urix#deprecated
npm WARN deprecated resolve-url@0.2.1: https://github.com/lydell/resolve-url#deprecated

> yarn@1.22.10 preinstall /usr/local/lib/node_modules/yarn
> :; (node ./preinstall.js > /dev/null 2>&1 || true)

Job for kaltura-playkit-bundler.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status kaltura-playkit-bundler.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript kaltura-playkit-bundler, action "restart" failed.
● kaltura-playkit-bundler.service - LSB: Start/stop Kaltura Bundle-builder-api.
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/kaltura-playkit-bundler; generated)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-02-09 13:51:13 CET; 14ms ago
       Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
    Process: 48635 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/kaltura-playkit-bundler start (code=exited, status=2)

Feb 09 13:51:13 kaltura-all-in-one systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Start/stop Kaltura Bundle-builder-api....
Feb 09 13:51:13 kaltura-all-in-one kaltura-playkit-bundler[48635]: Need to install the forever npm module. Exiting.
Feb 09 13:51:13 kaltura-all-in-one systemd[1]: kaltura-playkit-bundler.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
Feb 09 13:51:13 kaltura-all-in-one systemd[1]: kaltura-playkit-bundler.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Feb 09 13:51:13 kaltura-all-in-one systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Start/stop Kaltura Bundle-builder-api..
dpkg: error processing package kaltura-playkit-bundler (--configure):
 installed kaltura-playkit-bundler package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kaltura-front:
 kaltura-front depends on kaltura-playkit-bundler; however:
  Package kaltura-playkit-bundler is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package kaltura-front (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
 kaltura-playkit-bundler
 kaltura-front

related posts on the forum:

Solved it by installing yarn

and then running

yarn global add forever

I started wit a fresh Focal VM, followed the guide you suggested (as I did in my initial attempt to install Kaltura), but I once again can’t pass the GPG error. So I haven’t seen anything like your npm thingy. Any further suggestions?

(Yet you inspired me with you adding yarn to focal:

I installed yarn succesfully, but you last command ends in an error:

root@* * r# yarn global add forever
00h00m00s 0/0: : ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘global’)

So I am still stuck…

well, sorry to hear that.

as for your yarn error:
maybe you have cmdtest installed, please remove it

i am not sure why you’re stuck at the gpg error…

i am using cloud service to spin up a fresh ubuntu 20.04 and am following the same script as i referenced… leading to this recepie (added yarn and node installation because mentioned errors)

## USE WITH CAUTION AND READ THE DOC

# install script takes care of those
# wget -O - http://installrepo.kaltura.org/repo/aptn/focal/kaltura-deb-256.gpg.key|apt-key add -
# echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://installrepo.kaltura.org/repo/aptn/focal propus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kaltura.list
curl -sS https://dl.yarnpkg.com/debian/pubkey.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
sh -c "echo 'deb https://dl.yarnpkg.com/debian/ stable main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"
apt update
apt install percona-server-common-5.5

# add mysql.cnf configs
vi /etc/mysql/conf.d/mysql.cnf
# add this (without # offcourse)
# [mysqld]
# innodb_log_file_size=32M
# lower_case_table_names=1
# max_allowed_packet = 16M

# remove above error by installing nodejs and yarn and forever
apt install nodejs yarn
yarn global add forever
#

wget http://installrepo.origin.kaltura.org/repo/aptn/focal/install_kaltura_all_in_1.sh 
chmod +x install_kaltura_all_in_1.sh
./install_kaltura_all_in_1.sh

you will be prompted to either keep or loose the mysql.cnf
-> keep it! -> option N

But! there is another error… down the line regarding kaltura-db and mysql settings… maybe the percona step has not been enough

Get: 1 http://installrepo.kaltura.org/repo/aptn/focal propus/main amd64 kaltura-db all 15.10.0-1+b1 [4,756 B]
Fetched 4,756 B in 0s (112 kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package kaltura-db.
(Reading database ... 92163 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../kaltura-db_15.10.0-1+b1_all.deb ...
Unpacking kaltura-db (15.10.0-1+b1) ...
Setting up kaltura-db (15.10.0-1+b1) ...
Checking MySQL version..
innodb_log_file_size => 32M
Please adjust your settings manually and re-run.
dpkg: error processing package kaltura-db (--configure):
 installed kaltura-db package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 8
 kaltura-db
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Checking MySQL version..
innodb_log_file_size => 32M
Please adjust your settings manually and re-run.
 installed kaltura-db package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 8
 kaltura-db

Can you please confirm that your Kaltura CE server is up and running now?

thats a no, sadly … db config was okay now (with the added step of configuring it, i updated the recepie above…

but now kaltura-db configure can’t connect to /api_v3
which the install readme warns about (if one has a preconfigured apache running)

Checking MySQL version..

CREATE USER kaltura;
CREATE USER etl@'%';
CREATE DATABASE kaltura;
CREATE DATABASE kaltura_sphinx_log;
CREATE DATABASE kalturadw;
CREATE DATABASE kalturadw_ds;
CREATE DATABASE kalturadw_bisources;
CREATE DATABASE kalturalog;
Checking connectivity to needed daemons...
Connectivity test passed:)
ERROR: Couldn't make an API request to http://my.service.tld/api_v3/index.php?service=system&action=ping.
 installed kaltura-db package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 6
 kaltura-db
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Checking MySQL version..

to be continued

its weird

root@kaltura-all-in-one:~# cat /opt/kaltura/log/kaltura_apache_errors.log
[Tue Feb 09 18:28:20.540828 2021] [php7:notice] [pid 30379] [client 77.10.102.196:57437] PHP Notice:  compact(): Undefined variable: extras in /opt/kaltura/app/vendor/ZendFramework/library/Zend/View/Helper/HeadLink.php on line 373, referer: http://my.service.tld/start/index.php

wich seems to be php7.3 (or 7.4 in this case) related and its just a notice

the URL returns

ACTION_DOES_NOT_EXISTSAction "ping." does not exists for service "system"KalturaAPIExceptionKalturaApiExceptionArgACTION_NAMEping.KalturaApiExceptionArgSERVICE_NAMEsystem0.0030679702758789

I’m not quite new to installing applications on Linux, but this is a tough one… Good luck!

Please keep me posted!

Is this the response to a failed admin login? What about the Authenticator Code?

No this was just installing script responses

@bort

I made some progress. The installing script ended without errors. I can see a landing page now with, among others, a link to the Kaltura backend admin login screen. Yet logging in fails… I started a new topic for that.

Sounds good. Would you kindly share the steps you took in regards to installing kaltura-dbor did it not complain / fail ?

I just found out that the Kaltura db has tables but no data. (No complaints about db during the installation process…). No wonder I can’t login! I want to populate the db now with the answers file but I can’t find it in the /tmp directory nor elsewhere. It should be something with the extension .ans. Any suggestions?

@ bort
Of course I am glad to try to help you and share the steps I took. I will get you a list based on .bash_history.

1 Like

When I try to reconfigure Kaltura, this error:

mysql: option ‘-P’ requires an argument

comes up as well as with kaltura-base as with kaltura-batch. This wrecks the installation…

I am very close to a working Kaltura installation, please help!