Disableentitlement vs read only role

Hi
General question - how in fact works disableentitlement at privileges?

I need to prepare appToken which allows another team to retrieve list of all medias added at last 24h. All.
I create proper appToken, start widgetsession and start session what gives me KS string.
But - there is a problem what to set privileges at this token.
Without disableentitlement, result is only few medias, so I need to use it, like this:
$privileges = ‘sview:,list:,disableentitlement’
Well, but I checked, and using this session is possible to perform update also. For example update tags for media.
So add:
$privileges = ‘widget:1,sview:,list:,disableentitlement’
or
$privileges = ‘setrole:<id_of read_only_role>,sview:,list:,disableentitlement’

So, is it possible to receive this combination of privileges which allows to access READ ONLY, but to all medias? (access means list them and play). If yes - how set it?
thx
Maciej

Hello @wawa,

Based on how you phrased your question, I believe you are already familiar with some of the background I’m about to provide; nonetheless, it never hurts to reiterate and this may also be beneficial to others who have similar inquiries.

The mechanism that is of interest in this scenario is called content entitlement. For a high level overview, please see:
https://developer.kaltura.com/api-docs/Secure_Control_and_Govern/Content-Categories-Management.html
https://developer.kaltura.com/api-docs/Secure_Control_and_Govern/Content-Entitlements-Privacy-Enforcement.html

The way to determine whether a certain API request should be allowed is by looking at the KS (Kaltura Session) parameter.
This is true to all API requests, made by Kaltura’s own applications (KMC, MediaSpace, etc) as well as third party/customer applications.

A KS consists of multiple fields, the most important ones being:

• Partner ID
  • Expiration date (represented as a UNIX/Epoch timestamp)
  • Type (USER or ADMIN)
  • user ID
  • Privileges

A detailed explanation of the KS mechanism can be found here:
https://developer.kaltura.com/api-docs/VPaaS-API-Getting-Started/Kaltura_API_Authentication_and_Security.html#ks-components

To better illustrate the above, please consider this output (the result of decoding the KS string):

real_str            $PARTNER_ID;$PARTNER_ID;1564681348;2;1564594948.5176;james;swiew:$ENTRY_ID;
partner_id          $PARTNER_ID
partner_pattern     $PARTNER_ID
valid_until         1564681348 = 2019-08-01 17:42:28 (will expire in 23 hours and 59 minutes)
type                2
rand                1564594948.5176
user                james
privileges          disableentitlementforentry:$ENTRY_ID,setrole:PLAYBACK_BASE_ROLE,sview:$ENTRY_ID

In this example, because the KS was generated with these privileges:
disableentitlementforentry:$ENTRY_ID,setrole:PLAYBACK_BASE_ROLE,sview:$ENTRY_ID

If you attempt to use it to view a different entry ID, it will fail.

The privileges field can be used to limit the actions that can be performed with the KS in question.
For the use-case at hand, we only want the KS to allow playback and therefore, the sview privilege is sufficient.
By setting sview:$ENTRY_ID in the privileges field when generating the KS, one can limit playback to one specific entry.

If you don’t wish to restrict the KS to one given entry ID, you may set the below in the privileges param:
disableentitlement,setrole:PLAYBACK_BASE_ROLE,sview

With the resulting KS, playback should work for all entry IDs but the different CUD (Create, Update, Delete) operations should not. Please be sure to test that.
As is always the case, the principle of least privilege (PoLP) applies. If you can be explicit and restrict per entry ID, I suggest that you do so.

There are two main methods for generating a KS:

Both methods allow you to set a specific user ID and the desired privileges and select the session type (you’ll want a USER session in this case, not ADMIN).

As you are already aware, we also offer a mechanism called appToken (https://developer.kaltura.com/workflows/Generate_API_Sessions/App_Token_Authentication)

The main advantage of using that method is that a given token can easily be revoked whereas, if the admin secret needs to be changed, you will have to put the request to us.

For a full list of supported privileges, please see: https://github.com/kaltura/server/blob/12569d19a27a88a55d72226dbcd7f0ab08378752/alpha/apps/kaltura/lib/request/kSessionBase.class.php#L28

Cheers,

Thanks
Problem was that I fixed on found at documentation: “widget:1” privilege”. Setrole:PLAYBACK_BASE_ROLE with ,enableentitlement and privacycontext works much better - thanks.

But maybe You can help with another case:
Using loginbyloginId - I have at KMC user with Analytics User role only (only Video Analytics and Trancoding Settings allowed). Login to KMC with this user credentials, I even don’t see entries. But when I use API with user -> loginbyloginId with this user credentials and privileges set to enableentitlement and privacycontext, generated KS string allows to list and modify entries.
Is it intended behavior? Possible to limit it to analytics rights only?
thx
Maciej