What is not free?

Hello Kaltura expert,

I am a new user to Kaltura, and a dumb question, it seems Kaltura is open source and everyone could install and we can get support from this forum. So, wondering if I install Kaltura using my own hardware, do I need to pay any fee? And wondering what are the services which has cost (if I host Kaltura service/videos by my own hardware)?

thanks in advance,
Lin

The answer to your first question is no, the open source is absolutely free.
If you want to use Kaltura SaaS solution you need to pay.

Thanks oferc1,

If I want to host by myself (not SaaS), and if I met with any technical issues, do I need to pay service fee? Or if it is free, is there a channel I can pay fee to get better service if I host video and Kaltura service by myself?

regards,
Lin

You don’t have to pay kaltura.
If you need technical services you can access me :smile: . I’m a consultant that works with Kaltura.

ofer@whitenblue.com
Ofer

PS,
Just to make it clear the Kaltura server is for free. Other products (like MediaSpace) are not for free.

Thanks Ofer,

You are so nice and love the environment here. For MediaSpace, do you mean the SaaS remote hosting?

regards,
Lin

For MediaSpace you can get it installed on your Server, but you need to pay for it

Thanks Ofer,

Is MediaSpace something beyond the open source part of Kaltura? Could you share some basic introductin on it? Thanks.

regards,
Lin

Hi Lin,
Yes, the KMS (Kaltura MediaSpace) is beyond the kaltura open source.
KMS is a video portal. You can read more about it here: http://corp.kaltura.com/Products/Video-Applications/Kaltura-Mediaspace-Video-Portal
and see its demo site: http://media.mediaspace.kaltura.com/

Hi Ofer,

MediaSpace sounds cool, two quick questions,

1. How it is priced? And is it open source so that I can customize by myself?
  2. For the open source and free Kaltura, I think it already cover functions of MediaSpace, like video hosting/player/codec. Is there a comparison what functions are provided in additional of Kaltura?

regards,
Lin

Hi Lin,

1. I’m not a kaltura employee so I don’t know it’s pricing model.
  2. KMS is a layer on top of the kaltura server, not a replacement (its just a nicer presentation layer).

Ofer

Thanks Ofer,

Your answers are so professional so that I think you are senior employee in Kaltura. :smile:

Is KMS open source as well?

regards,
Lin

No. KMS is not for free

Hi Ofer,

I know KMS is not for free. I mean whether it is open source? Sorry not make myself understood before.

regards,
Lin

Hello Lin,

No, I am afraid KMS is proprietary.

Thanks Jess. If not open source, is customization easy (more about customized workflow level and UI level.)? Thanks.

Yes, our professional services dept. does a lot of KMS customizations, both in flow and UI.

Thanks Jess, I am fully confident for your team. I mean for private property reasons, if I want to do customization by myself (I can pay for your support, but want to customize code by ourselves and not sure the part of customized code), is there enough API or document to refer to? Thanks.

Hi Lin,

The admin part of MediaSpace has documentation of to create a plugin and which apis/events can be used

Thanks Ofer. Would you mind to point me the link?

regards,
Lin

Hi Jess,

What is the pricing model for customized development on KMS? Thanks.

regards,
Lin