Installing Kaltura CE on AWS: S3 & Cloudfront

Hi all… Your help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to build my own CMS using Amazon AWS (S3 & Cloudfront). I have yet to find any instructions to make this happen. I have seed a few links on Panda OS and a couple of others mentioning that this can be done in 15mins. What we are looking to do is set up the Kaltura CE as our interface/gateway to the AWS services. From my understanding, the CE (Community Addition) is very similar to, if not the same, as the paid addition. Does anyone have access to the documentation to show how to do this? From getting the Kaltura CE software and uploading it to the an AWS virtual machine or cluster? Any help would really be appreciated as we are under the gun to get this up to see if it will actually be a working solution. Many thank!!!

Hello,

Indeed, CE contains the same code base as the paid edition and is updated every other week, same as the Kaltura SaaS.
You can find all the needed documentation here:

Specifically:

Hi Jess - thanks so much… I will give this a try. Appreciate your help and will post here how it goes. Regards - David

Hi @FASHIONAIONTV - you can always tell the latest version by looking at either :

Cheers,

Zohar

Please note that http://installrepo.kaltura.org/reports/ci/ also includes nightly runs which are not yet stable. The best place to find the stable is under https://forum.kaltura.org/c/new-release-updates, as Zohar mentioned, or at:
https://github.com/kaltura/platform-install-packages/releases

Note that you do not install downloading the source from the repo, to install, follow instructions from:

Great, thanks again Jess & Zohar!!! MUCH appreciated. Have already sent back to dev! Will let everyone know! David

We have done exactly as you’ve described and it works quite well. Installing the base system is fairly trouble free ( i believe there are a few dependencies missing here and there) but setting up the platform and understanding the differences between on prem and aws/s3 hosting is tricky but achievable. 15 mins it is not.

We finally built out a multi-zoned, no single point of failure set up, based on a different DB infra than that which comes by default as we wanted the extra reliability and performance. Kaltura CE is very very demanding on its DB, especially if you’ve multiple batches ( the machines which do the transcoding and background tasks)

Best of luck.

Hello @AnyOldJoe,

Can you please explain what dependencies you found to be missing? and which distro you installed on? the installation should automatically pull all dependencies. As far as the install time, installing a single server does indeed take roughly 15 minutes on all our test machines but of course, it also depends on the speed of your connection since you need to pull all the packages from our repo.
Would love to get more detailed feedback on the issues you had and improve things accordingly.

Thanks,

Thanks for the input and advice… Much appreciated. I would be very grateful for any advice on getting help from another developer to help build this out. The developer that we hired spent many hours trying to get this to work with very little success. The workflow that we followed was setting up an instance in AWS (Red Hat I believe). Then setting up the latest version of Kaltura CE. There were many bugs and the overall experience was bad and didn’t work. Would you be so kind to recommend a dev team that would aid us in setting up this properly. We have finite budget, but the real work is going to come when we hire that same team to do support. I look forward to your thoughts and thanks!!! Best - David

Hi David,

For official Kaltura support, you can look into our OnPrem release [http://corp.kaltura.com/Deployment-Options/Kaltura-On-Prem-Edition] or host on our SaaS.
If you need help with CE, I will be happy to assist here but of course, you need to report the issues.
No reason for it to be a bad experience, lots of people successfully install it daily and we are always happy to assist whenever is necessary. That said, Kaltura is a complex server side product and as such, does require basic Linux administration skills.

Hi Jess – thanks for the note. The experience was not bad on your side. I think that we just hired the wrong dev team… I really want to give this a try to see if it does what we need it to do before we get into anymore long term contracts with the paid side. We had a VERY bad experience with JW Platform. Do you have any recommends for a dev to help with this? Many thanks - David

Hi David,

Have you considered using our SaaS or OnPrem instead? OnPrem can be hosted on your own server, including at Amazon’s EC2 and when taking that route, the deployment and customizations will be done by Kaltura’s professional service team. SaaS means hosting it at kaltura.com in which case, no special installations are required.

Hi Jess - I have considered that, but we really wanted to use the AWS solution specifically on the backend, as we are going to be integrating some backend ad tech and the third party apps/tech company’s have specially requested the S3 Cloudfront solution. Thus our request to try this set up first. This is part of longterm project which will tested against other workflows. We have not made up our minds as to what the ultimate solution will be, but this is something that we are looking into as we speak. Please let me know your thoughts re a dev? Thanks - David

Hi David,

You can setup Kaltura OnPrem on AWS. It will be exactly like CE but will be deployed and officially supported by Kaltura personnel.
If this is an option, please contact our sales team. Otherwise, I am sure you’ll get a reply from an indie developer soon enough:)

Thanks for your help Jess. Much appreciated!

Hello @jess

Like @AnyOldJoe, I too found some dependancies missing during an installation on Ubuntu 14.4 with AWS E2C instance. The errors related to the dependancies appears just after the setup commands for the MySQL database when installing kaltura-Red5 for me. I terminated the instance and started over twice. This was more of a test run for me rather than an actual functional install to determine how complicated it is to setup and then create and AMI after completing a successful setup.

I will retry over the weekend and post the results in a new thread for you to get full troubleshooting information. Showing the actual issues and messages returned during installation. I can tell you one major issue is figuring out all the ports to open via AWS before installation for it to run smoothly. My issue even on a conventional dedicated host was some of the ports that are needed are were not mention in documentation. I did a pull request still waiting for approval for the required ports info on GitHub.

Thanks,

Hi,

This document describes the ports used by default:

As far as errors, yes, I’ll be happy to help you once you supply them.
I can tell you I myself test Ubuntu 14.04 with EC2 quite frequently, using the default image they provide.
I usually use ami-d05e75b8 or ami-d85e75b0, I am in the us-east region, IDs may vary depending on yours.

Also, like the doc says, you need to have the multiverse repo enabled, the install script does that for you but if you have issues, make sure it is indeed enabled.

You may also want to do:
# aptitude update
# aptitude dist-upgrade

before you run the CE install script.

@jess

Specifically, how do I check if the multiverse is enable and enable it if it is not enabled.

Thanks

# grep “^deb .*multiverse$” /etc/apt/sources.list

Should return something similar to:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-security multiverse

@jess

I followed your instructions and the installation got a lot further than before but I still got the following erro r toward the end of the installation.

Reloading nginx configuration: nginx: the configuration file /opt/kaltura/nginx/conf/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: [alert] mmap(MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED, 536870912) failed (12: Cannot allocate memory)
nginx: configuration file /opt/kaltura/nginx/conf/nginx.conf test failed

kaltura-nginx.postinst FAILED with: 26201 on line 68

Archving logs to /opt/kaltura/log/log_20_01_16_02_09.tar.gz...
dpkg: error processing package kaltura-nginx (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 11
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 kaltura-nginx
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up kaltura-nginx (1.8.0-8+b7) ...
 System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/kaltura-nginx already exist.
Reloading nginx configuration: nginx: the configuration file /opt/kaltura/nginx/conf/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: [alert] mmap(MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED, 536870912) failed (12: Cannot allocate memory)
nginx: configuration file /opt/kaltura/nginx/conf/nginx.conf test failed

kaltura-nginx.postinst FAILED with: 26353 on line 68

Archving logs to /opt/kaltura/log/log_20_01_16_02_09.tar.gz...
dpkg: error processing package kaltura-nginx (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 11
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 kaltura-nginx

I was able to connect to the Kaltura admin running and KMC but when I tired to rerun nginx install I keep getting an error. I also get the following error when I try to install kaltura-red5:

The following partially installed packages will be configured:
  kaltura-nginx
0 packages upgraded, 123 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 90.2 MB of archives. After unpacking 153 MB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libtomcat7-java : Conflicts: libtomcat6-java but 6.0.39-1 is to be installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     libtomcat7-java [Not Installed]

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
2)     libmina2-java recommends libtomcat7-java