Getting started with Kaltura using an existing AWS Instance

Hi,

I am trying to get Kaltura CE up and running by using an existing Amazon Web Services Instance. There are a handful available when searching for “Kaltura” in the AMIS, and I went with:

Panda-Kaltura-CE-9 - ami-1392aa7a
"This image has the entire prerequisites to run Kaltura CE Server"

However, even though I can connect to this (via Putty) I can’t (or don’t know!) how to access any of the Kaltura features that are installed. I had read elsewhere that using the ec2 URL, plus /start/ would take me to the admin console log in, but that doesn’t seem to do anything. Any ideas what should happen here or how I access the Admin Console?

Any tips would be fantastic! At present, my goal is simply to show a video through Kaltura, which is stored in an Amazon S3 Bucket, probbly via Amazon CloudFront.

Many thanks,

1 Like

Hello,

Please take a look at:

And once installed at:

Let me know if you require assistance,

Thanks Jess … I’ll have a look through that; although was hoping there would be an Amazon Image readymade with Kaltura Installed to save a bit of time. Does one of those exist that maybe you’d recommend, in an EU region.

Also, thinking ahead, one of the steps involves using the Remote Storage Profile in the Admin Console, and I can’t figure out how to access that!. How do you access that?

Thanks!!

R

Hi,

No ready made image because we release a new version every other week and the install really takes just about 15 minutes:)
Once you install, you will be able to access yourhost/admin_console

Thanks very much … server now up and running!

Whilst I’m setting up CDN and the Remote Storage Profile, the step after this will be for me to include some of the clipping and trimming functionality in my own website.

Do you know if this feature set is included in the install, how I’d go about creating a quick demo of it and perhaps if there are any examples out there already?

Many thanks again!

\r

Happy to help:)

KMC includes the clipping && trimming capabilities. For something to embed in your site, use:

Thanks,

Hi again,

One other question on the instructions you provided for the Remote Storage profile, the input box for the CDN URLs doesn’t seem to appear (I can’t include a link to it unfortunately).

Any ideas why this might be? Do you need to set another setting for this or perhaps is this guidance not in line with the install we have?

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Hi Jess,

This felt like a different question, so I’ve been a good forum user and created a new topic

:slight_smile:

Hello,

Yes, in 9.17.0 we added some functionality that changes this flow. It will be added to the admin console soon but for now, is available from API, which can also be called from the testme console.
Please take a look at: https://github.com/kaltura/server/issues/1422#issuecomment-48631619

Hi there,

It’s been a while since I look at this and feel like I am back to square one. A friend managed to get the instance up and running but is no longer available.

I don’t suppose this is a service / favour (!) that can be provided by someone at Kaltura at all?

Once the server is set up, linked to my AWS bucket, with a simple page that utilises the clipping tool, I would be able to take it from there!

Hello,

I’ll be happy to help you troubleshoot whatever issue you may face when following:

If you are looking for commercial support, please contact our sales team or, you can contact PandaOS at:
http://bamboo.panda-os.com/

They provide commercial support and services for Kaltura CE.

Thanks,

1 Like

Depending on your overall goal, your options are:

1. Try working with the stock Kaltura installation, post the issues here and get your instance working.
  2. Get help from Sales team at Kaltura.com or panda-os.com.
  3. Try asking for help on http://forum.kaltura.org/category/community-forums/jobs-board.

As long as you don’t have too many specific changes for your need, 1st is the best choice for anyone familiar with tech and servers. Latest Kaltura packages are very standardized with some known issues, notably in storage/delivery profiles.

Hi @pauldodson55, Kaltura can help when dealing with complex ingestion workflows, custom monitization and ads support and many other things that you can’t do over YouTube.

Furthermore if you want to create a real brand, with customised player / site, YouTube will blow your brand out of the way.

If you wish I can explain in more detail the many advantages Kaltura platform can offer.

Hi,

What is the point of the AMI? What do I do next after I selected the AMI? The Github documentation does not mention.

Thank you!

Hello,

Not sure I understand the question.
Kaltura can be deployed on the following systems:

• RHEL/CentOS 6 and 7
  • Ubuntu 14.04, Debian 8

If you launch an AMI that runs any of these, then you can install Kaltura on it.

For installation guides see: