Do we need Kaltura Web Services?

Hello Kaltura masters,

I am referring to guide (http://knowledge.kaltura.com/kaltura-video-platform-architecture-overview), section “Overview of Functional Components”, and for Kaltura Web Services, it seems used for use cases when we need to do customization development using the web services APIs. If we just want to install Kaltura CE and try it with existing functions, no need to program against it, do we need to install Kaltura Web Services?

And it is mentioned "Scalable middleware entities deployed on back-end server/s. Central orchestration of atomic batch services such as media import, media info extraction, transcoding, server notification and others. This module should be deployed on a backend server. " when introducing Kaltura Batch Jobs, and wondering what means the backend server here? I do not find a component in Kaltura called backend server. :smile:

thanks in advance,
Lin

Hello,

No need to install anything apart from CE to make use of the API. In fact, our system uses the same APIs to achieve its internal functions. You can read about it here:

Backend server in this context just means that it does not need to be accessible to end users, unlike the KMC and admin console, for instance. This is only relevant in the event of clustered deployment.

Thanks Jess,

I know Kaltura provides good end user interface like MediaSpace, and for CE version, is there an end user interface for free? :smile:

regards,
Lin

CE comes with KMC and Admin console. And of course, with the API you can create any additional user interfaces you’d like.

Hi Jess,

KMC is Kaltura Management Console? Is it for end user to play video online? Or only for video uploader to manage video?

regards,
Lin

It is not meant for end users, but rather, to platform admin and content managers.

Thanks Jess. Have a great day.

regards,
Lin