Difficult to establish a live stream

Hello guys

Sorry if my question is too basic, I’m a newbie in streaming and a bit confused.
The company I work have some products related to audio and video (analogic) for meetings, and we would like to provide services for streaming the meetings, and record the meetings in order to let our customers to watch the videos. So I’m trying Kaltura to check if it meets our needs.
To do it, on my Windows machine I installed Centos 6.6 in VMWare, and installed following the guide: https://github.com/kaltura/platform-install-packages/blob/master/doc/install-kaltura-redhat-based.md
using the No-SSL part. Everything went fine, from my Windows machine I could log in, created a publisher and upload some video files, played them and embbeded in a simple web page, the solution is just perfect.
Then I tried to create a live streaming. To do it, I attached a video capture device to the USB port (a Dazzle device), and installed Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder. On it, it displayed the imagem from the camera, just fine. In Kaltura, I created a Live Stream Entry. Following the KMC user manual, I copied the links for rtmp:// and pasted it to FMLE, changing the @PRIMARY_MEDIA_SERVER_HOST@ part of the link the CentOS machine IP, but FMLE got me the error of failed to connect.
Am I doing something wrong? The setup I made is enough to stream video, or I need something else installed/configured?

Thank you in advance for any help

Best regards
Christian Schultz

Hello,

for live streaming, you will need Wowza, please follow this doc:
https://github.com/kaltura/media-server/blob/3.0.9/Installation.md#for-webcam-recording-servers

Thank you so much for your reply, Jess

I downloaded Wowza Streaming Engine and I’m using a trial serial number with it. I’m confused about the relationship of Wowza and Kaltura. In Wowza, I put some videos on the content folder, and I’m able to embed the videos using Strobe Media Playback, and I could also connect FMLE to Wowza using RTMP. So, it looks like Wowza have the same purpose of Kaltura, am I right, or am I completely wrong? I tried to find in the Wowza documentation how to use the video capture device, and I could’t find, I think I’m all wrong, could you please clarify those topics to me, please?

With best regards
Christian Schultz

Hello,

The Kaltura platform uses to perform the streaming, it does not do it by itself.
There is configuration needed to create the integration between the two, following the doc should make it clearer.

Thank you for your reply, Jess.
It is still fuzzy to me, I can’t see clearly the advantage of using Kaltura together with another streaming server, because without the need to stream live videos, running Kaltura alone in the CentOS machine was enough for the duty (I mean: I could upload video files and embed them in a web page). I will try to study more about it, I hope I can found a Kaltura doc that explains that, but unfortunately those topics are very short, which means it is intended for much more experienced people.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Best regards