Day 1 -- Getting Started Configuring Player

Hello,
I am a front end developer, and I have been tasked with figuring out how to put Kaltura players of different variations on our company websites. I need to wrap my head around how to skin players, add custom watermarks, pass in specific playlists, make them work full screen as well as fill parent containers, etc., etc.

Today is Day 1, and I am seeking some “Getting Started” documents. Googling turns up thousands of documents and videos (and this forum!), but it is unclear to me where to truly begin with the latest player. (Many links are 404 errors, and it is hard for me to tell if pages that do turn up in google are for the latest stuff or not). I thought this forum wouold have some stickies, but I am not seeing them, if it does?

I only need to understand how the player works, and how to make changes programmitcally in HTML, CSS and Javascript. Where do I start? Is this manual the place to begin?

http://html5video.org/wiki/Kaltura_HTML5_Configuration

And if yes, will this cover the Flash implementations too?

Thanks for your patience and any direction you can give me,
Matt

Hi oferc,
thanks for the reply. :slight_smile: Yes, we are using SaaS. Anyway, I have been to that link you provided, and it is sort of “high level” brochure-ware, I think. (Unless I am missing something, which is possible.)

I am hoping for some concrete walk through or tutorials. Take one of my requirements:

1. How to skin players, including custom watermarks and logos from a code level

Is there any recommended walkthrough/tutorial that explains how to do this through HTML, Javascript and CSS. In the best way, with the embedded player that is recommended (so you don’t have to wait for DOM load), for Flash and HTML5? (My impression is the code variables are the same for HTML5 and Flash, so skinning it will be the same code anyway, Right?)

I feel like there must be some code-based tutorials on the most common tasks, and I am just missing finding them?

I do appreciate your time,
Matt

Thank you, oferc! I have visited the developer link before, but in my earlier visits it was unclear to me that this was regarding the latest stuff, and if there may be a better place to start. (On Day 1 things like “player v2” and “KDP3” and many other acronyms and versions gets rather confusing!)

That said, I do appreciate that you have taken the time to point me in the absolute best direction!

Thank you,
Matt

Hi oferc,
thanks for the reply. :slight_smile: Yes, we are using SaaS. Anyway, I have been to that link you provided, and it is sort of “high level” brochure-ware, I think. (Unless I am missing something, which is possible.)

I am hoping for some concrete walk through or tutorials. Take one of my requirements:

1. How to skin players, including custom watermarks and logos from a code level

Is there any recommended walkthrough/tutorial that explains how to do this through HTML, Javascript and CSS. In the best way, with the embedded player that is recommended (so you don’t have to wait for DOM load), for Flash and HTML5? (My impression is the code variables are the same for HTML5 and Flash, so skinning it will be the same code anyway, Right?)

I feel like there must be some code-based tutorials on the most common tasks, and I am just missing finding them?

I do appreciate your time,
Matt

Thank you, oferc! I have visited the developer link before, but in my earlier visits it was unclear to me that this was regarding the latest stuff, and if there may be a better place to start. (On Day 1 things like “player v2” and “KDP3” and many other acronyms and versions gets rather confusing!)

That said, I do appreciate that you have taken the time to point me in the absolute best direction!

Thank you,
Matt